Wednesday, August 1, 2012

we've been on the run driving in the sun

Looking out for number one. California here we come.

We left Arizona on Saturday morning and arrived in Sacramento late Sunday evening. We made a quick pit stop in Palm Desert to change a diaper and let Carl Rove get out of the car. Unfortunately, it was so hot that poor Carl was standing on three feet for most of the time. Saturday night we stayed in the 90120 - ha ha, couldn't resist. It was a really nice dog-friendly hotel. You could even order room service for your dog for $10/plate. Sunday morning when I was coming back from taking the dog for a walk, guess who greeted me when I got off the elevator? One Little Miss J, who had managed to open the hotel room door and wander into the hallway. I had a mini heart attack, when I saw her.

On Sunday we drove up to Fresno to see my cousin Nancy and her kids. We had a nice time visiting and Carl had fun playing in the yard with the other dogs. Nancy cooked a delicious dinner - grilled flank steak, green salad, pilaf, broccoli casserole, and homemade hummus. Nancy is my mom's niece and we just reconnected when I started coming regularly to Sacramento. It's been nice getting to know her and her kids, and fun to hear her memories of my mom. After dinner, we hopped back in the car for the last 2.5 hours to Sacramento.

We pulled into the house about 9:00 p.m. Our new landlords are the sweetest family. They cleaned up the landscaping in our backyard and even built Gus a bed because he had mentioned that he wanted to start a garden. Our backyard looks so adorable. Inside the house they had left us a housewarming plant, a baby doll for Little Miss J, and a list that included some of their favorite restaurants (complete with food recommendations), grocery stores, parks and even a babysitter (SCORE!). They even agreed to be one of our emergency contacts for daycare (a daycare that they recommended) - which was great for us since we don't know that many people yet.

Monday and Tuesday meant multiple trips to Target and Ikea, but we still managed to find some time to play outside and explore a few new restaurants, as well. Today is our first day of work and Little Miss J's second day at daycare. Boxes arrive tomorrow and cable/internet gets installed on Monday.

I love love love our new neighborhood. I feel more at home here than I did in the year and a half we lived in Phoenix. More on the 'hood later.

2 comments:

Wild Reed said...

I am bursting with joy for how happy your family is. What wonderful landlords! Can't wait to see all the pictures, and I am already dreaming of coming to visit.

Nina B said...

I think you would love it. Our neighborhood is awesome. Reminds me of South Mpls. I hope you will have the chance to visit.