Monday, August 13, 2012

chillin' and grillin'

It was a bit warm for dining al fresco, but since it is not incredibly oppressive and unbearable like Phoenix, we went for it. Fired up the grill and had Italian sausages with peppers and onions and a chickpea salad. Gus opines that I use chickpeas entirely too often - going so far as to say that I use them in 95 percent of the salads I make. Overexaggeration of epic proportion. But I do really like them, they are easy and versatile, high in fiber ... I mean really what's not to like? Little Miss J liked them enough to suck on them, chew them up, and then spit them out - which I don't really understand. It's clearly not the taste or the texture that offends her, but she refuses to actually fully ingest them. The outside dinner was disturbed by the 8 million black flies swarming about, and Little Miss J has a compelling need to yell, "BUG" every time one buzzes by. As this happened about every 0.2 seconds, I spent most of my dinner shooing the flies away from the little princess. So maybe it wasn't the most relaxing dining experience, but as the mother of an energetic toddler I'm not even sure I remember what that concept actually entails ... sigh. I'm looking forward to more "outside," as Little Miss J would say, in the coming months.

Little Miss J apparently doesn't rip out the piggies
 when Miss Carmen puts them in. Traitor.

playing in the water before dinner

she's either eating or showing me where a BUG is.

the grill master

even Carl is having a good time

2 comments:

Wild Reed said...

I hear ya about the hair. V hates when I brush it and just won't sit still long enough for me to put ponytails in. She lets LouAnne do it, though. grrr.

Nina B said...

This morning she asked for "pretty," which means she wants me to do her hair. I wasn't patient enough to get the part straight with her crazy cowlick - so her piggies are a little wild, but still adorable.