Thursday, February 10, 2011

new chapter

We are about to begin a new chapter in our lives. It has been overwhelming wrapping up this chapter and planning for the new one. Coping has never really been my strong suit and I've been feeling pretty much like a crazy woman since I accepted this new job. We are in the process of packing up the house, purging unwanted or unnecessary items, finishing up some minor repairs, and getting the house on the market. We are also trying to fit in last visits with family and friends, including a play date for Carl Rove so he can romp one last time in the snow. The next 7 days are going to be busy and of course I really should just focus on making it through the next 7 days.

But do you even know me? If so, then you obviously know that my mind can't help but start racing to the end where we land in Phoenix. Even though I am certain that this move is what is best for the Chunglund family, I am nervous. Minnesota has been my home for most of my life. It is where I am comfortable - metaphorically of course because who can actually be comfortable when it is like negative one bazillion degrees out and your fingers feel like they are being frostbitten even while driving in your car. I feel like I could move anywhere in Minnesota and being able to figure out the "system" with very little trouble. This probably sounds ridiculous, but moving to an entirely different state gives me anxiety about little things like where do I renew my driver's license, where is the nearest post office, how do I get a new vehicle registration. All things that I assure you I can figure out, but for some reason I obsess about them anyway.

As moving day creeps closer and closer, I'm also am becoming painfully aware that I will miss my family. Moving to Duluth and the birth of Baby J has brought us closer to aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. I am sad that Baby J will be moving across the country from her two cousins that are her same age. I am also sad that Baby J and Victoria, my good friend Jenn's little girl, won't be growing up together. I am going to miss family and friends dearly!

But as I've mentioned, this is truly the best move for our little family. There will be more opportunity for Gus, who has a meeting for some potential legal work within the first week of our arrival. A pay increase, which let's be honest, definitely can't hurt. A chance for us to start over. I want to let go of the past and my expectations of what my future was supposed to be like and embrace my new desert lifestyle with my little family. Gus said he would be happy wherever he was as long as he had me and Baby J. My husband and daughter are the two most important people in my life (and of course Carl Rove is the most important puppy in my life), and if we all stick together I will make it out of this life changing transition alive.

Let the adventure begin ...

No comments: