Monday, January 31, 2011

baby j on a plane

We had a whirlwind tour of the Phoenix area last week in order to secure housing for the big move.* It was Baby J's first plane ride and Mom was probably more stressed out than baby. Getting two suitcases, two additional carry-ons, baby milk, a baby, stroller, and car seat through security was a feat of epic proportions for me. Airport security in Minneapolis required the milk to be x-rayed (despite being told otherwise by the TSA agent who checked my ID) or for both me and baby to be patted down, which they assured me would take 20 minutes - time that we simply didn't have given our departure. Baby J was such a good baby on the flight to Phoenix. At one point the people in the row behind us joked that we just have put her in the overhead compartment because she was so quiet. She slept through takeoff and landing and was a happy baby for the entire flight. On the way back to Minneapolis, her demeanor was less than ideal. She must have been upset about heading back to the snow. Until the airplane started moving, she was pretty noisy and fussy. Once we were in the air, she fell asleep a couple times and wasn't too bad. Nothing like the angel she was on the way out there though. My only travel advice would be to suck it up, pay the $25, and check your luggage. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten Baby J and myself through security with less hassle, if I didn't also have a suitcase with which to contend.

*After three days of looking, we signed a lease at 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, the day before we left. We leave the frozen tundra on February 19th and hope to be in the desert by February 22nd!

No comments: