Tuesday, January 14, 2020

thanksgiving 2019

Here's what happened ...

Gus became a vegan, much to the annoyance of my neighbor, Peter, and made for an interesting Thanksgiving holiday. He got some recommendation for something sold at Trader Joe's that was meant to approximate a turkey. It didn't look all that appealing and I didn't bother to try it because spatch cock turkey, thank you Julie. Gus also prepared all vegan sides for his dining pleasure, which were all perfectly lovely. But ... BUTTER is delicious.

I mean really, which one would you rather eat ... ?






Before we stuffed our faces with non-vegan and vegan delights, respectively, we did what we do every year. We ran Run To Feed the Hungry! And by "ran," I mean we actually all ran. There were no strollers, baby wearing, wagons, or piggyback rides. Both my children ran the whole. damn. way. and I really couldn't be prouder. I ran with J1, who after the first mile wanted to run faster. I tried to be encouraging during the last mile, but she didn't want to talk. She was focused on passing people until she hit the finish. She is truly my daughter. External motivation isn't really her thing.





J2 also ran and excitedly proclaimed upon finishing that he "hardly even complained." He did, however, run nearly the entire 5k holding Gus's hand, but whatever, everyone propelled themselves to the finish line mostly of their own accord and it counts.

My bestie, Tana, also completed her first 5k! Looking fabulous as always.



After the run, we got out the tree and, just like Elsa, I let it go. And by "it" I mean all my Type A tendencies. The Js decorated the tree largely unsupervised ... hence the standing on the couch. I didn't even bother rearranging the ornaments afterward because really, who the f*ck cares.


The lights were twinkly, I saw all my favorite ornaments because they were ALL on the front of the tree at kid-level. Plus, I had spent an obscene amount (for me) on throw pillows that I am absolutely in love with. What more could one want? I mean except a shirt that matches your throw pillows! Despite the camoflauge, my children managed to find me and continue to ask me one million questions.




And before we did ANY of the above discussed activities, we, of course, celebrated with the Shahs at their annual Night Before Thanksgiving (NBT, for the cool kids) cocktail party. Where in true Nina B fashion, I overdressed ... because you can never be over educated or overdressed IMHO.