Sunday, January 5, 2020

rise & shine, sweet girl. this is your moment.


My dearest sweetest J1,

We had an emotional autumn, losing Papa Roger. Like I told J2, I gave myself the grace to delay your birthday letter, but I wanted to make sure I still got it done. So, here you go.

It's been more than 3,285 days since we first laid eyes on your smushed up alien-looking face. You are nine years old! And you are everything. You are my sun and stars, my moon and ocean. Everything about you reminds me to be a better person.


I admire your independence. Your ability to do the right thing even when it isn't the popular thing. It is this that I hope stays with you throughout your lifetime because it will serve you well. While you have grit, I need you to have more. I need you to not be upset when we correct you or review what you got wrong on an assignment. We are not doing it to point out the fact you are wrong. Rather, we are trying to teach you how it works so that you will get it correct in the future. Please remember that and approach these moments with a better attitude. I know you don't react the same way to other adults correcting you, so try not to do so with us. We love you. We know you are smart and we are so so proud of you. Us correcting you does not make us any less proud of you. I promise.


I'm so proud of how well you've done at soccer this year. Last year was tough losing your spot in East Sac, but you turned it around and made the team at Sacramento United. You have excelled and made new friends. I know your goal is to score more, and to do that you need to take more shots. Be brave. Take chances. Shoot hard. If you miss, it's OK. You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take.





Your love for eating and talking continues with reckless abandon. The other day you asked for two pieces of toast with hummus, and later I found you crying in the corner because you heard all of the other things your Appah was offering to make and you wanted that too but knew you couldn't eat dinner twice. LOL.



You are generally the happiest, most easy going kid that I know. Your friends' parents always tell me that you are welcome any time because you are so polite and nice. You could, however, work on hanging up your clothes and keeping your room clean. Just saying.



You make this world a better place. Your kindness, consideration, and thoughtfulness of others are unprecedented for someone your age. You really are one of the best humans that I know.


I hope you don't follow in my footsteps. I want you to walk a path beside me and go further than I have ever gone. You have it in you. Believe in yourself. Always.

You are my greatest joy.

Love, Your Umma







1 comment:

battlemaiden said...

Your kids have the best mom.