Tuesday, January 21, 2020

california cold

When a Californian travels to another part of the world and the temperature is relatively warm (or even hot), but for Californians it's cold as hell, it's California cold. We've only been here for seven years, but it really only takes about year to turn you into a marshmallow. Case in point, the time we went to Minnesota in the SUMMER and I had to buy us all hats because it was so f*cking cold.



The point being, we headed to San Diego for winter break and it was f*cking cold, and rainy. Regardless, we made the best of it.


On our way down, we drove right by the entrance to Disneyland and like the mean parents we are informed the Js that we were not going to Disneyland. Behold, the face one makes when you are so close yet so far from Disneyland.


We did, however, stop for the night at Great Wolf Lodge. This place is on point. I mean, if I can't go home for Christmas, might as well be in a building wholly designed to look like a northwoods cabin complete with fake snow.


 Plus, they really cater to the adults, with beverage carts strategically placed throughout the resort. The water park was indoors so I didn't even need to worry about being California cold.





The next morning we headed to San Diego to grab Grandma Amy from the airport and check-in to our rental for the week. Grandma Amy came with 3 large suitcases filled with Christmas presents. Then it was time for the fun to begin.



We braved the downpour and headed to Scripps aquarium. It's an aquarium. If you've been to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, you do not need to go to this one. Unless it's raining and you have nothing else to do.



We also waited FOREVER and by FOREVER I mean so long that by the end J1 was silently sobbing in a corner because she was "STARVING," but knew that if she said anything, we'd just tell her to be patient ... hence, the silent portion of the sobbing. I mean, I'm not going to say the wait was totally worth it, but there were mimosa flights that did not suck.


Gus and I took advantage of the built-in childcare and were able to get some adult time for our anniversary. We ate at Nobu, then wandered through a wine store (because that's what we do), and ended our evening with a night cap at this cool bar in the Gaslamp that I can't remember the name of but had some really really expensive scotch.




Oh, and the expensive scotch place also had a Moet vending machine. Who doesn't like that? NO ONE.


I realize there are ALOT of photos in this post, but you know you want to see the most festive Uber ever. This guy was super proud of his pimped out ride.



Christmas Eve we went to Legoland. The best part of Legoland? I never have to go there again. Even though, thanks to Margaret, I am not aware they sell beer, I still don't want to go there again. Everyone will tell you that it's not all that. I mean everyone did tell me that. But you really have to experience it for yourself. Once. Just once.


Christmas Eve was a Christmas miracle. We didn't have dinner reservations until 8:00 p.m., yet my precious angels wore their fancy outfits, ate their fancy meal, and there was not a single complaint. Dinner at 8:00 p.m. meant they had already sold out of lobster much to J1's dismay, but I think she made up for it with the oysters.




Christmas Day included present opening frenzy and just hanging around the house.





The day before we headed back to Sacramento, we hit up Belmont Park, which was right down the street from our little house. J2 was dedicated to that ropes course.




And because I didn't think the car was really quite full enough, and because secretly I think Gus really wanted to impress me with his feats of strength, he won me a giant hamster to keep me company while I rode b*tch 8 hours home between two children. I love that hamster.

 

And 2019 is almost a wrap.




No comments: