Thursday, December 1, 2016

it takes a village

I am notoriously bad at asking for help. The good thing is that I am learning. I am blessed with wonderful people in my life---friends, family co-workers, mere acquaintances, etc.

With a new job and two kids in different schools, if felt like my life got exponentially crazier. Trying to manage remembering when to pack a lunch for J1 and a snack for J2, soccer practice, dance class, etc. while simultaneously attempting to maintain a modicum of self-care---like just enough to keep me teetering on the edge of the deep end without falling in---got overwhelming. And just like that, I have been forced to rely on others to help make my life work.

My favorite neighbors pinched hit for my sick babysitter so Gus and I could have a quick date night. And my across the street neighbor, pastry chef extraordinaire, got us the rock star treatment at her restaurant.

My in-laws watched the kids so Gus and I could go away for a weekend to find some Cab that was drinkable now---because if you know me, patience is not one of my finer qualities---and to remember that our relationship exists on a level outside of the throes of parenthood. We had a lovely time, blog post to follow.

The mom of J1's best friend offered to drive the girls to/from dance class every Monday. And when I realized that Gus and I are out of town the day of the dance recital, I only hesitated a few days before asking her to pick up J1 for the recital, as well. There was a time, where we would have simply told our daughter that we couldn't bring her and she would have to miss it. I think Gus still sort of hates asking for help, but I'm starting to think I have no shame in that game any longer.

One of my good friends, Celine, picked up J1 for soccer when Gus and went to Sonoma for the weekend. Another good friend. Tana, brought her to/from Girl Scout camp this past summer.

So yeah, it takes a village, and I'm so so lucky to have one. I'm also glad that I am able to be there for other moms who need help. Whether it's driving someone to Girl Scouts, assembling furniture, or stopping by with a bottle of sparkling for a quick pick me up. I am part of an incredible community of mamas that are truly there for each other through it all.

While impossible to get everyone in one photo, here's a few of the women that have made my life easier, my days brighter, and my life fuller. Thank you!




No comments: