Monday, March 21, 2016

motivate the mind

And the body will follow ... last week's half marathon was all mental and while I definitely made it, it wasn't pretty.

Earlier in the year I was inspired by an acquaintance to sign up and train for the Shamrock'n half marathon. My last half marathon was with Suzanne in Phoenix in 2012. I didn't train and my time was likely not all that impressive. What was impressive (but not smart) was the fact that I had actually ran 13.1 miles.

Running isn't really my thing, but I have gotten more into it over the past year or so and surprisingly there are times when I even enjoy it. Let's just say that Sunday, March 13 was NOT one of those times. It had been raining so much the weeks leading up to the race that the entire course had to be reconfigured. It was raining while my friends and I sat in the car pondering whether to brave the elements or hang tight just a little longer in the hopes that it would stop. By the time I reached the start my shoes were soaked from not so expertly navigating puddles in the dirt parking lot. I was garbed in a garbage bag, which I later had to explain to Little Miss J was a clean garbage bag and that there was no way I would have smelled like actual garbage as she was accusing me of such.


And this was the only picture I took of this whole debacle because the weather was just that miserable. Despite my training, I pretty much wanted to quit the entire time. Gus was planning on meeting me between mile 6 and mile 7, and I fully intended to hop into my warm car and head home for a hot shower. Thankfully, J2 slept in and I never got the chance. The reconfiguring of the race course meant that you were forced to run by the finish area no less than three times before you actually got to finish. Oh and Pandora Hip Hop Workout Station decided that after 2 hours, the only workout song I hadn't heard was Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You." WTF Pandora! What a mindf*ck. My feet were soggy, my body hurt, but I still FINISHED! 10:54 per mile, which was under my 11:00 minute goal. I am fairly certain I could have run faster, but clearly not in the rain. I will blame my waterlogged shoes. 

Upon finishing I immediately beelined it out of there to find my family braving the elements on the Tower Bridge. They had arrived too late to see me run past, but dutifully waited to walk me back to the car. Gus was nice enough to bring me dry clothes. Unfortunately, he brought me another set of running tights, which were impossible to put on in the car when you are not only wet but also sore, very very sore. So I had the pleasure of riding home half naked. 

I have checked the Shamrock'n half off of my 2016 bucket list. Prior to the race, I was pretty sure that I was going to retire from half marathons. But after that sh*tshow, I may need to make a bit of a comeback! Stay tuned for next year ... 

No comments: