Monday, March 21, 2016

about this boy

Dear J2,
I don't even know how old you are, like 2.5 or something like that. I could count, but I'm tired. You are the perpetual birthday boy and are baffled by the fact that not every birthday cake is YOUR birthday cake. So really, with the number of times we have fake celebrated your birthday, you're like 35 years old anyhow. Or 39 ...


 You are sweet. You are naughty, You are ALL boy. Crashing cars into walls, pulling cushions off the couch, and climbing on whatever is available to get what you want. You love dirt and water and mud and making messes. You recently shook out a whole sippy cup of milk onto Carl's back. Then you unzipped the couch cushion and pulled out the stuffing. Cradling it lovingly in your hands, you looked at me and whispered, "fluffy cloud." Now whenever I hear you mutter "fluffy cloud," my first response is "NO FLUFFY CLOUD" as I make my way into the living room to check on you. You are constantly eating. Some of your favorites are crab, soup and watermelon, but you will eat pretty much anything. You are still cuter than about anything I have ever seen in my entire life. 


I love hearing you talk and sing. Last night you were singing Humpty Dumpty and while you only got about one out of every four words correct, you finessed the rest as only a two year old could do. You are very interested in construction equipment and are quick to point out the "excabator" and the fact that there are "two excabators" doing work near our house.


I love watching you zoom your cars around the house. You also love playing with Play-Doh, watching YouTube, and listening to music. You know how to push Little Miss J's buttons and seem to take pleasure in doing so. You DO NOT like it when she scolds you by saying, "bad baby."


You are the person that loves me most in this world. No one loves me like you do. The way you smile when you see me and say, "mommy home," is quite possibly the best thing this world has to offer. I have been traveling often lately and when I come home all you want to do is lay with me - smiling and snuggling your head in my chest. Our house would not be the same without your little feet running down its hallways. I have embraced that fact that you like to sleep with me and look forward to our snuggles. You will not always be this little and I have committed to enjoying every last adorable bit of you while you will still let me.


I will never tell you how much joy your little face brings me each and every day because I do not have the words. I hope you will always know in your heart that you are so very very loved. For both you and your sister, each day my goal is to make sure you know how much I love you and that I would move heaven and earth to keep you safe and do what is best (but not always the most fun) for you. You may be little, but you are mighty and you light up this world like no other.

Love you more than all the fishes in the sea,

Umma


No comments: