Thursday, February 13, 2014

what i needed wednesday

I guess you're just what I needed. And by "you" I mean, one sassy pants Little Miss J. Work has been completely suck-worthy lately. We've been working until at least 6:00 p.m. every. single. night., which often leads to working in the middle of the night after you've fed J2 and gotten him back to sleep. It got so bad that I spent both Saturday and Sunday in the office. *grrrr* Getting home so late every night and having very little time to spend with the kids last weekend has made me sad, to say the least. I did, however, get some quality time with my Little Miss J yesterday.

I left work early to take the munchkin to her Valentine's Day party at school, where thankfully there was no f*%!ing glitter to be seen anywhere. We took a rather unsuccessful selfie while we waited for things to get set up.


Little Miss J got her face painted, decorated cookies, played with Play-Doh, did some painting. Ella's dad somehow always gets volunteered to do the face painting. He's actually not bad and he's a great sport.

 

After the party, we headed back to the office to pick up Gus. On the way we had one of the more rational conversations I have ever had with her where I managed to convince her to not bring her bracelet for show and tell and instead pick something larger that she would be less likely to lose. She agreed to bring her teddy bear instead with little to no whining. Then we talked about how tornados are formed and I also tried to convince her (to no avail) to say, "My name starts with J" rather than saying "I start with J-U-L-I-E-T." We saw a protest on the corner, which she informed me means "you hold signs," and even recognized the "J" on the street sign and told me we were on J Street - all correct statements. That 20 minutes of whine-free conversation made me realize how much I have been missing by coming home from work so late, when she is already tired and prone to whininess.

We got to the office and she charmed everyone by telling them that "Umma and Appah are building the fastest train." Translation - we work on the California High-Speed Rail Project. She was more than happy to sit in Gus's "room" aka his office and play with his toy train.


Spending some extra time with Little Miss J was just what I needed to feel a bit more balanced. Because as they say, no one is ever going to say they wished they had worked more.


No comments: