Tuesday, January 15, 2013

happy birthday to me!

A decade ago, birthdays involved deciding which bar to go to, what to wear, who to invite and where to have an after bar. 35 brought a much quieter birthday. Little Miss J did interrupt my shower to yell "happy birthday, umma" and made me a Lego cupcake. Gus actually managed to wish me happy birthday in the morning before work without having to be reminded - likely because I had to cry about the fact that he didn't do so without a reminder last year. Lovely flowers showed up at my door courtesy of my dad and Amy.


Saturday we wrangled up a babysitter and headed out with R squared (Rachael and Randy) to Moxie, which was recommended by my friend and neighbor, Julie. On a side note, Julie is my Angie's list. I've gotten referrals for doctors, vets, and pretty much everything else from her. She has lived here forever and knows everyone. Plus she's just an awesome friend in general. I wasn't quite sure what to think of the restaurant when they seated us, and then proceeded to ignore us until R squared arrived - but in the end the service was actually good and they kept our wine glasses full the entire night long after the bottle that R squared brought was gone. Their food was good with the specials outnumbering the menu. We had crab cakes and spare ribs to start and then I had sea scallops and Gus had lobster ravioli. Dessert was a Kaluha cream chocolate cake, which was way yummy. It was fun to spend a birthday with Rachael after so many years. She was around 10 years ago probably trying to help me decide which bar to go to and who to invite!

No comments: