Monday, July 18, 2011

global citizen

Not going to lie, I'm not really in love with my job - although the increased income certainly helps ease the pain. However, one of my favorite parts about my new office is the cultural diversity. There are so many different ethnic backgrounds here and everyone is always willing to share their culture through food.

For instance, a couple months ago, one of the traffic engineers from China brought us to the Phoenix Chinese Cultural Center where we had the.best.Chinese.food. Of course this probably isn't saying much from a Minnesotan, but literally this was the most delicious Chinese food I have ever tasted. It was very different from the sweet and sour chicken, lo mein, etc. on a typical buffet. My favorite item was pork boiled in spicy sauce, which doesn't sound all that appetizing, but was deliciously spicy and bright. Other items we had were kung pao chicken, chicken with jalapenos, and eggplant. It was a brand new experience for me since most of my Chinese food has been Panda Express or New/Old/Panda (or some combination thereof) China Buffet.

Next up, I'm taking some friends out for Korean food. Of course, I'm relying mostly on Mr. Chunglund to help people order. After which, one of the bridge engineers from India has offered to take us to his favorite Indian restaurants - one with northern cuisine and one with southern cuisine.

So while the actual job may be less than desirable, I have been having some fantastic food experiences!

No comments: