Saturday, July 16, 2011

change of pace

Gus started his new job and is working 70+ hours per week, which leaves me and Baby J on our own for the evenings and weekends. It's a huge change of pace for us. Being a working mom is tough and it's even tougher when dad isn't around to help out. Getting dinner ready and a baby ready for bed all before 8:00 p.m. during the week is tough. On a more positive note, I've enjoyed menu planning, grocery shopping, and trying new recipes. I highly recommend the Barefoot Contessa's gazpacho and Rachel Ray's roasted jalapeno poppers were delicious.

Weekends are spent cleaning, grocery shopping, swimming lessons, play dates ... we've got plenty to keep us busy. After my great experience with Meetup groups in Duluth, I joined one here in Arizona. Today we had a play date with 5 other moms and their little ones ranging in ages from 6 months to 3 years. I didn't feel like I really clicked with any of the ladies, but it was the first time. Everyone was very nice though and I'm hoping that as we get to know each other better I will have some new friends! Having such a busy Saturday leaves me pretty wiped by Sunday and I think we're staying home tomorrow!

So while it isn't always easy carrying a baby, the groceries, and letting the dog out - all at the same time, I'm starting to get the hang of it. I even managed to change Baby J and myself in the locker room after swim lessons without having to put her down. It wasn't pretty, but we got it done!

1 comment:

Wild Reed said...

really would love to see your locker room techniques. After our swim lessons yesterday I'm wondering when I have to go on my own - how will I ever be able to get myself dried and dressed?