Thursday, June 9, 2011

eight months

Dear Baby J,

There is no amount of advice or experience that could have prepared me for you. In the early weeks, it was of absolutely no consolation to me to hear that things would get better and that having a child is the most rewarding experience of a person's life. While I loved you and to quote my friend, Stacey, "would probably [have been] suicidal if anything happened" to you, there were (and there definitely still are) times when I wish you would just go the [expletive, that I can't insert here if I want you to be able to read this before you are an adult] to sleep.

Today you are 8 months old and you.are.AMAZING! You have three little teeth and the other day you crawled over to Daddy and bit his toe ... hard. You love ripping paper out of the phone book and crumpling up the pages. If something is plugged in and you see the cord, you make a beeline for it. Yesterday, I was holding the hair dryer while I was talking to you and you crawled right into the bathroom heading straight for the hair dryer cord. You shut yourself in the closet to play with Mommy's shoes (aka putting them in your mouth). You pull yourself up on everything - ladders, Mommy's leg, the table, the mirror, the couch, Carl, etc. So far your favorite toys are magazines or the phone book, the Kong, and some errant ear phones that your Daddy gave you to satiate your obsession with cords. You love being in the Ergo and when you are unhappy riding in the stroller that is exactly where you go. The only way you will go to sleep is if Mommy is bouncing you on the Swiss ball. You make this strange monotone droning noise when you are about to fall asleep that makes both Mommy and Daddy laugh. Recently, you've really started "talking." You're making new sounds and babbling away!

My favorite part of the day is walking in the door after work, seeing your face light up with a smile, and watching you crawl straight toward me. I can't believe you are 8 months old already. There was a time when I didn't think you could grow up fast enough and now I just want you to stay this adorable little baby where each day brings the wonder and magic of something new to experience, do, and learn. There are no words to describe how much I love you and how wonderful you make me feel.

No comments: