Thursday, May 19, 2011

finally there

During the first few weeks of Baby J's life when there were stitches in places you don't want stitches, the most cankle-y cankles you have ever witnessed, and no matter what you were NEVER going to get more than 2 hours of sleep at a time - those were the days when Baby J would only sleep if one of us was holding her. Mr. Chunglund used to have to sleep most nights in one of the most uncomfortable chairs ever created while holding her. When it was my shift, I would at least try to get her downstairs to the couch to make myself a bit more comfortable. I probably complained about Baby J's codependent sleeping habits to anyone and everyone that would listen. Most of the time their response was - "enjoy it while it lasts because some day they won't want you to hold them." I would nod my head in agreement, while thinking to myself how I couldn't wait for the day that Baby J didn't need to be held 24/7.

This morning at 4 a.m., while snuggled up with Baby J on the couch as she fell back asleep, I was fighting the urge to disturb her by hugging and kissing her because she is so crazy adorable. It was this morning when I could finally envision a day when I would tell her, in that overly enthusiastic mom type way, how much I loved holding her, rocking her to sleep, and having her snuggled up right next to me. I will tell her how much I miss having my little baby and or course Baby J will give me one of those "my mom is a little (or a lot) bit crazy looks" and Mr. Chunglund will feel the need to remind me how I couldn't wait until she was a more independent sleeper.

Gone are the days where I feel like I am being held hostage on the couch by a newborn. When my friend, Stacey, who is a new mom herself, asked how long it was until we got over the "holding her all the time" phase, I honestly don't even recall when it was. But I am finally there - in that place where all moms get to, where I can finally see myself missing the snuggly baby stage. If only they could be born at 6-7 months old ...maybe I'd consider having another. For those of you who know me, you know that I say this in only partial jest.

1 comment:

Wild Reed said...

love it.

I've been thinking a lot lately about when we first had V. I was so afraid of creating bad habits that we didn't hold her all the time. And now I wish I had enjoyed that more! Even at five months she doesn't want to snuggle. Ever. And I wish I could go back to when she was two weeks old and hold her as much as possible ;).