Thursday, October 27, 2016

now we are six



My darling Little Miss J,

The day you have been agonizing over since your last birthday finally came (and went)! Yes, every 12 months you get a birthday. And, no, just because J2's birthday comes before yours during any given year does not mean that he is older than you. Someday you will understand the 12 month cycle, but it was painfully evident this past year was not that year. That's OK. You're only 6.

You, my dear sweet girl, are one of the nicest little people I know. I am continually impressed with your kindness and understanding. You have such a good heart and you know that even when others are not nice, it does not give one carte blanche to be unkind in return. It breaks my heart when your feelings are hurt by someone, but I'm proud that you have the wisdom to understand that retaliation does not, in the long run, make you feel better. Your maturity generally exceeds your age and at times I forget that you are still just a kid.

You are also a really really good big sister. For the most part, you accept J2's behavior as a product of his age rather than a lack of love for you. He really does love you---despite the things he does which would sometimes lead you to believe otherwise.

In the past few months, I've started to see the glimpse of a life where I am not being summoned to do something for you every 90 seconds. You can pour your own cereal and milk. You can run your own bath and wash up by yourself. Five years ago, I thought I was going to have to come to college with you because you refused to go to bed on your own---and yet now all I have to do is tuck you in and tell you good night. Between you and me, I do sort of miss snuggling with you at night.

My sweet girl, I love every little thing about you. From the top of your head to the tips of your toes. You make me so very happy. You have the best smile. You give the best hugs. You are a really good kid. I'm so proud to be your mom. I hope this next trip around the sun is everything you wished for!


Lots love forever and ever,

Umma

No comments: