Wednesday, July 1, 2015

father's day 2015

I can't believe I haven't blogged about our Father's Day. It was a perfectly impromptu day, which started with the most amazing southwestern benedict at Evan's Kitchen. I had already started devouring it before I remembered that I wanted to take a picture of it. The chipotle hollandaise sauce was pretty much worthy of licking the plate, but in true wannabe WASP fashion, I restrained myself.

Next up - Funderland! Since I got the full mom treatment with my free wristband on Mother's Day, it was not only Gus's turn, but also his dad's turn. Not gonna lie, I think Gus's dad had a pretty good time. At least up until the last ride, which just went around and around in a circle, liable to give just about everyone (but Little Miss J) a tummy ache.




Gus's next stop was the Sugar Mill, which may be as close to my nirvana as any in Sacramento. First, it is a very short drive. Second, there is wine (and wine slushies!!). Third, there is a huge outdoor area for picnics and running around. One word. Trifecta. J2 took a nap, while Gus, his mom, and I went to a few tasting rooms. 


Plus there were food trucks and live music that day. Once J2 woke up from his nap, he had fun dancing and running around.



Hoping that the fathers felt properly feted. I am blessed that Gus is such an amazing dad. The kind that will explain exothermic reactions and sonic booms to the kids, will brave Costco and the mall alone with both kids in tow, and who knows the exact moment to get the kids out of my figurative hair before I lose my mind. I am also blessed for a loving father-in-law and grandfather to my kids. From helping take out garbage, to walking Carleton Rover, and playing everything from Legos to tea party to dance school, etc. with the children, he is a huge part of our daily life.

Last, but certainly not least, my own Dad, Dr. B. I called to wish him a Happy Father's Day and this is pretty much how the conversation went ...

Me: Hi, Dad! It's me. Happy Father's Day!
Dad: Oh, thank you.
Me: Are you doing anything today?
Dad: I'm getting ready to go to the dump. 
Me: Uh, OK. Is Amy there?

He can be a man of few words. Even so, I am proud to call him, Dad and I cannot wait to see him and Amy (and my brother and nieces and everyone else!) on Friday!


No comments: