Wednesday, January 15, 2014

there's something about sara

Sara is the kind of person who stays with you forever. I don't even recall exactly how I met Sara, and even when we lived in close geographic proximity (in comparison to how far away we are now), I don't know how often we actually saw each other. We probably met at a swim meet and really only saw each other at other swim meets or the track meet. And yes, I meant singular on the track meet - I was considerably less talented at track than I was at swimming (and by considerably less I mean I sucked pretty miserably) so my career as a runner/jumper/thrower of things lasted for only a few weeks during which I probably had to show off my less than mediocre skills in a competition of some fashion. That, however, is neither here nor there and if I was Sara's husband would have probably put that in a footnote.

My point is that Sara has made a lasting impression on me even though we never got to spend that much time together. A little over a year ago, we found our way back to each other through Facebook - which is probably surprising to no one since Facebook is good way to stalk ex-boyfriends find old friends. Prior to that, I couldn't tell you when I saw her or spoke to her last. Despite not communicating with her for so many years, I remember her bubbly personality and her infectious grin. I remember her being a little bit hyper and talking a little too fast - but what I remember most is that Sara was a genuinely positive and down to earth person. Someone who was always fun to be around. I looked forward to every opportunity I had to see her.

Flashforward to now and I am slowly but surely catching up with Sara and her family on Facebook. She still likes to ham it up for the camera and is now a supermom to four beautiful children. Our interaction on Facebook is still limited - a quick message here or a "like" of a photo or status update - but in spite of its limits I can still tell she is the same girl I remember. She is still a person that I would look forward to spending time with.

The impetus behind this post was this - a guest him (in a strictly platonic not creepy adulterous kind of way). I have my own husband, who probably wouldn't write like this, but would actually do the same things if we were in a similar situation. Hell, Gus does many of those things for me now and I'm perfectly healthy ... at least physically. Again, this would probably be a footnote. But it isn't. Deal with it. All those years ago, I fell in love with Sara's personality so it shouldn't suprise me that she has found an amazing person with whom to share her life. There's just something about Sara.
 

No comments: