Thursday, January 2, 2014

happy new year!

 
As we said goodbye to 2013, Gus and I reminisced about past NYEs in the pre-Chunglund family era.
There was the time we went to some club in the basement of another club and since it was Minnesota it was crazy ass cold. With no cabs in sight Gus made me walk back to his place, which he claims was only 6 blocks, but let me tell you in a dress and ballet flats (because at least I had the sense to carry those and not try to walk on the icy sidewalks in heels), it was a looooong 6 blocks. During that short  looooong walk, I allegedly managed to make Gus fall down. Of course, I have zero recollection of this, but he says it happened so we'll give him that one. Then there was the time where we ate too much caviar and drank way too much Veuve before we even went to the NYE party and the finale of that evening is probably better left forgotten. In fact, I didn't even remember it in the morning and Gus filled in the details, which I will spare you.
 
Our little trip down memory lane got me thinking about some of my other favorite NYE moments of which two come to mind. First, the NYE that I spent with one of my besties, Erica, in downtown Cleveland. Again, it was freezing and of course we were not dressed appropriately for the weather. I do recall wearing Chuck Taylors that evening though so I'll again accept points for sensibility. That night involved dancing, bouncers, a short boy that Erica had brought along insisting that he could be my NYE kiss, and if I recall correctly hitchhiking back to the hotel in the back of a hatchback. The second most memorable NYE was the millenium. I spent the evening with my boyfriend at the time and some friends drinking and playing board games until we got bored and the boy and I went ice skating and watched the fireworks at midnight. The NYE was memorable. The boy not so much ...
 
This NYE, I intended to spend at home with the kiddos -
 

But Gus wore Little Miss J out at the pool and she crashed at 5 p.m. So instead, Gus and I had a quiet evening at home with champagne, caviar, seared scallops, and asparagus, while J2 dozed peacefully in his swing. I managed to make it to 9:00 p.m. PST and watched the ball drop in NYC with Gus on his phone while we snuggled up in bed. After which, I snuggled into the covers and couldn't think of any place I would have rather been for NYE 2013.

Poor Little Miss J didn't get to eat any of the "New Year's food" she had picked out at the grocery store, which included purple Jell-O, Pringles, cheese, and carrots and celery. She awoke on New Year's Day ready for her New Year's party, asking for New Year's food. So she and I had a little NYE celebration for breakfast!


Little Miss J and I hope 2014 brings you and your family only the best things! Cheers!



 

No comments: