Monday, August 19, 2013

we must be doing something right

One of my greatest wishes for Little Miss J is for her to always know how much we love her. Even during times of discipline, I always try to work in the fact that Umma and Appah love her before I  talk about why she is being punished. My mom's love for my brother and me and the myriad of ways she showed us that love are my strongest memories of her, and sharing that love with my own daughter is my way of honoring the person who I think was the best mom in the world. Our usual nighttime routine is reading a story, laying down and talking about our day, and then usually me ignoring Little Miss J (or pretending to sleep) while she rolls around, kicks the wall, kicks my back, etc. until she finally drifts off to sleep. Last night I did the usual lay on my side with my back to her, and she reaches over to pat my arm and says, "Umma I just love you. I [am] going [to] take care of you. Good night." The reciprocating words of my almost three year old's love for me left me feeling like we must be doing something right raising our little girl.

No comments: