Tuesday, April 9, 2013

rainbow baby

Dear Baby Wang Chung II,

I wrote letters to Little Miss J during my pregnancy (and afterward too) and so in similar fashion, I will do the same for you. After a miscarriage earlier this year, you are our rainbow baby. Picked that term up on BabyCenter, you like it? Because after the storm, there's a rainbow ... get it? If you were a girl, I was going to decorate your nursery with a rainbow theme. But you are not and now I'm struggling to find something suitable that isn't cars/trucks, dinosaurs, jungle, or sports themed.

You have the most adorable, perfect big sister so you've got quite a bit to live up to here, and frankly, so far I'm not that impressed. You've rendered me pretty much useless (and barfing) for the past three months. Your sister often tells me, "Your tummy hurt. You  go lay down." This is probably because I've said this to her repeatedly several times per day throughout this first trimester. Might I suggest that to remain in my good graces you be a good sleeper, good nurser, and please please please like the swing that I intend on buying you and putting you in so I can take a shower, do the laundry, feed Carl, etc. Oh and if you could come out with just a few pushes (versus two freaking hours), you will probably seal the deal as my favorite child.

You should know that I was skeptical while pregnant with Little Miss J often wondering (and not just to myself but to anyone that would listen) what would happen if I didn't love my baby. Fortunately, for you I have learned that babies are magical unicorns and despite feeling like an 18-wheeler just drove out of your crotch, mothers love their babies. It's mostly hormonal, but just go with it because it means we like you enough to take care of you and want only what is best for you - and really it's better than the alternative. You can, however, rest easy knowing that we've managed to keep one kid alive for more than two years. So odds are pretty good that you'll turn out OK.

Most recently, I have been looking forward to your arrival so I can dress you up as this for Halloween.


All kidding aside, we are excited for you to be the next Chunglund. Last night Little Miss J lifted up my shirt and looked in my belly button because she wanted to see you.

Love (but might love you more if you stopped making me barf),

your umma

No comments: