Thursday, April 5, 2012

soup, sandwich, salad

Soup, sandwich, and salad - or any combination thereof, is the perfect lunch. With the exception of Monday, I've managed to find a few great places for said perfect lunch in Sacramento. Monday was an epic fail due to the prolific use of honey mustard at two independent dining locations. As a girl who has never liked mustard, honey or otherwise (but particularly honey mustard), you think I would know by now to ask about sandwich condiments prior to purchase - as it turns out, I apparently do not know. But really, who puts mustard on a turkey, bacon, avocado sandwich?

My redemption has been in subsequent lunches. Creamy tomato bisque and a caprese baguette sandwich at Estelle's Patisserie. Estelle's also had macarons and a pain au chocolat for which I have been saving my calories. Cream of mushroom soup with shaved black truffles and brie and proscuitto on a baguette at La Bonne Soupe Cafe, where they also had several other soups I would like to try including (but not limited to)french onion or butternut squash with coconut milk. Today, I wandered across the street to Capitol Deli, where I learned they serve bi bim bap on Mondays. The Korean gentleman working the register said "good for you" in a way that seemed to imply that I was somehow lucky enough to score a Korean husband despite only being an adopted Korean. I will try not to be offended. I had the turkey cranberry sandwich, which doesn't compare to the one at Lund's in Minnesota - but was still OK, but the tortilla soup was pretty darn delicious and just what my sore little throat needed. Offensive Korean gentleman or not, I will definitely be back on a Monday to try the bi bim bap.

I realize after writing this, that there really is no salad to be had in this post. I do like a good salad, but I think since I haven't been feeling very well this week that I've continually opted for the soup.

1 comment:

Wild Reed said...

I would kill for lunch options like that in Duluth. a