Tuesday, January 17, 2012

rock on

I completed my v. first half marathon on Sunday with Suzanne. The little amount of training that I put into this effort is embarrassing. Let's just say that my longest long run was 8 miles and I only did that once, the morning after too many glasses of wine at the office Christmas party. Next time, I would definitely get a bit more serious about the training. Wait. Did I say next time? I'm pretty sure I swore I would never do this again. I finished in 2:36.19 - just under 12 minute miles, if I did the math correctly which is questionable. Right on track with my training pace, so overall not bad results.

Here are the lessons learned -

- Leave your house before 6:30 a.m. Otherwise you will be stuck on the 202 for more than an hour trying to exit on Scottsdale Road. When traffic finally starts moving, you will realize that it is not because cars are exiting on Scottsdale Road, it is because they have shut down the exit ramp because the race has already started. Then you will have to jog 2 miles to the start in order to start running with the last corral.

- Run more, train harder. Download Hal Higdon's training program and actually follow it. On the day before the race, you don't want to have to say that your longest long run has been 8 miles. I'd blame my lack of running on my husband's work schedule, but even when I had the opportunity I sometimes opted for a nap rather than a run.

- Wait as long as possible to go to the bathroom. As the course continues, the lines for the port a potties become smaller and smaller. At mile 11 there is no line.

- Follow your favorite runner and sign up for text message alerts. Your loved ones, stalkers, mortal enemies, etc. can get your splits at 5K, 10K, and 10 miles. Then they can be waiting at the finish line to ambush hug you - saving yourself the craziness of the family reunion area.

- Practice your photo face. There are photographers everywhere. You will think you are JLo with that kind of paparazzi. Try not to look as ridiculously exhausted as you feel - or your utter lack of training will be written all over your sweaty little face.

Overall, I had a really fun time. There is some fantastic people watching, which helps with the boredom you might feel while running. The weather was perfect and the course was a nice loop, which went right by my office and (almost) made me wish I was sitting at my desk instead of running another 2.1 miles. I just may do it again. *sings* I will never say NEVER.

No comments: