Tuesday, September 13, 2016

a long long time ago


This photo showed up in my Facebook feed this morning. It was taken a veritable lifetime ago---at my very first attorney job. We took some clients on a riverboat cruise on the Mississippi River. The St. Anthony Lock is in the background. It reminded me how far we've traveled physically and psychologically since this day in September 8 years ago.

Since this photo was taken, we've adopted a dog, bought and sold a house, lived in two different states, and had two kids. Sitting on this boat 8 years ago, I don't think I could have ever imagined that this is where life would have lead us.

Leaving Minnesota was an effort in overcoming inertia. The inertia of living in relatively the same place nearly my entire life. When we left, it was certainly time. It was a new start. A warmer start. There was just us. And Little Miss J. It gave us a chance to define ourselves without consideration of previous expectations and commitments. From my perspective, it made us stronger. To have only each other to rely on. Perhaps Gus disagrees.

I won't lie. It's been lonely at times. Being so far from family and friends as we continue to pass milestones like kids' birthdays. But I can't picture my life as anything but it is. My kids will grow up with California as their home---and someday they may feel the same itch to leave and find a new start. And no matter where we or they end up they will always have a home to come back to---with us.

No comments: