Monday, May 12, 2014

reclamation

My very good friend, Jenn (of Wild Reed Journal fame) and I are similar in many ways, which is why we are so close. We both have backgrounds in planning and our kids are very close in age. We trade baby/kids clothes back and forth and text each other pretty regularly about sick kids, potty training, sleeping/not sleeping, mom stuff, etc. Good thing Gus got us the unlimited texting plan! Her youngest turned one this year and she recently posted here about how her life is changing as it becomes a bit less baby-centric and she starts focusing more on herself.
 
I related to many (but not all) of the things Jenn describes. Over the past year I've been feeling like I am slowly reclaiming my life. I am no longer a 24-hour baby boob buffet and I have allowed myself to let go of "mom-guilt" and enjoy some time away from my kids. J2 has definitely gotten the shorter end of the stick as a result of said reclamation, as I have left him way more than I ever left Little Miss J. I don't think that Gus and I had a date night until after her first birthday. I feel only a teensy bit nostalgic as my last baby grows up. He is the smiliest little guy and where he is growing up too fast, when Little Miss J was that age I couldn't get her to grow up fast enough and stop screaming her little face off.
 
In late February, I abandoned my family and headed on a girls trip to NYC. Epic. That is the word for that trip. I had so much fun with friends that for all intents and purposes I have known for my entire life. We ate some delicious food, saw some great shows, did some day drinking and a bit of shopping. We are already plotting a trip for next year ...
 
 
I have also joined a book club, which is a huge deal for me because introducing myself to a bunch of strangers would typically not be my idea of a good time. Getting up the courage to go to the first meeting where I didn't know anyone was tough and I almost bailed more than once, but I am so so glad that I did it. I have met some really nice and funny women. So far we've met three times and everytime I find myself laughing to the point of tears. Laughter really is the best medicine.
 
Finally, I've started to befriend some of the moms from the preschool. We've done one wine and painting night and are trying to schedule regular moms night out. I had a great group of moms in Phoenix, that I still miss terribly, and it has taken me a while to find new friends - but these California girls are great. And even when we can't get together, it's nice to have friends to text to confirm that soccer was unknowingly changed from Tuesday to Monday and that I was not just going crazy.
 
 
Of course, I also need to give a shout out to my amazing neighbors. Julie is always there with delicious food and drinks (of which I can finally partake)! Plus Little Miss J loves playing over at their house and is finally at an age where I can just let her play without keeping an eagle eye on her. In fact, she prefers that I leave her, Karly and Joe alone.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love being a mom. Much much more than I ever imagined I would. Between moving across the country and a "high-spirited" (to put it nicely) baby, the first couple years were all consuming. But over the past several months, with the help of my wonderful in-laws, my supportive husband, and some great friends, I have been able to reclaim that little part of me that was there before I had kids - the girl that laughs a little too loudly at inappropriate times, the girl who likes a glass of wine (or two or three), who swears a bit too often, and sings karaoke (albeit not very well). I am feeling much more balanced these days - a little bit mommy and a little bit rock and roll. Thank you to all the wonderful people in my life!
 
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Woohoo for reclaiming your life! Glad book club has been a part of it. I love it, too. We have so much fun every time. What happens at Friday Night Book Club stays at Friday Night Book Club.