Tuesday, April 29, 2014

oh the places you won't go!

 
A few nights ago, I was forced to talk Little Miss J off a ledge after a dramatic reading of Dr. Seuss's "Oh the Places You'll Go!" by her Appah. In reference to the "lonely place," she wanted to know, "why that little boy lonely?" Gus's response was to discuss how when you grow up you move away from your parents. Apparently, she was so devastated by this that:
 
(1) she announced she was going on a hunger strike (preschool syllogism - food makes you grow, growing up means you have to move out, I don't want to move out, therefore I will not eat food - actually pretty impressive logic for a 3.5 y.o., in my opinion); and
 
(2) when I went to tuck her in, she clung to my neck crying that she didn't want to move out because she wanted to stay with us forever.
 
My dear sweet Little Miss J - someday (hopefully not anytime soon), you will probably be packing a bag and announcing that you are running away from your mean old parents. Sooner than I can possibly imagine, you will be grown up and heading off to college. Until then, however, I pledge to try and savor every moment of this time during which you think that Umma and Appah are your favorite people to be with in the whole wide world. Someday I will be nostalgic (rather than exasperated) about your refusal to drink out of anything but a pink plastic champagne flute. In the moment it can be a little hard to remember that there will be a "someday," when you are asking me for something every 3.5 seconds. For now, I will just be happy that today isn't "someday" yet and that you don't want to go very many places without me.
 
gratuitous mommy daughter selfie
 

No comments: