Saturday, September 10, 2011

11 months

Dear Baby J,
Not counting the in utero months, I have now been your mom for 11 months. Sometimes I don't feel like I have any business being your mom. I don't know much about babies or toddlers or kids, in general, and there are times I have no idea what I am doing. But all it takes is for you to look over and smile at me and I know that whatever it is I am doing, I must be doing something right. You are the most lovable little girl with the brightest smile and being your mom continues to be my greatest joy and my greatest challenge.

You've completed two sessions of swimming lessons. You can use the steps to crawl out of the pool and know how to hold your breath. You clap when we say "good job" and hand over even your favorite toy when  asked. You continue to eat everything we give you from Thai curry to portabella mushrooms and polenta. You're not so good at sharing and you are a little bit greedy. If there is something you like, you will try to grab all of them even if it means holding some of it in your mouth. For example ...
And I've saved the best for last ... you have been standing up on your own for nearly a month now and your Dad and I have been just waiting for you to take your first steps. A few days ago, I saw you take one step forward. Then today at your baby play class, you were standing around like you usually do, holding a toy in each hand, and all of a sudden you just started going - five steps and even managed to get from the floor onto a yoga mat without falling! Your first steps (of many) in this lifetime. Baby J, you are on you're way to great things and Mommy and Daddy can't wait to see what you will do next!

Until next month, 
Mommy

"You're off to great places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting ... so get on your way!" - Dr. Suess




3 comments:

Wild Reed said...

Love that picture! We have the same tub :)

Nina B said...

If you read my Facebook status, you will see that apparently I did miss the milestone and she's been "stepping" since Thursday according to the daycare lady. And about that tub, when can I just put her in the regular bathtub? She's getting kind of big for the baby tub. But when I let her in the bathtub, all she wanted to do was crawl around and stand.

Wild Reed said...

I had been wondering the same thing about how long we could use the tub. I found this on the amazon page: "After you remove the insert, the tub can accommodate a toddler weighing up to 25 pounds and is safe for use from six months and up."

We'll use ours as long as we can. Our only bathtub is in the unfinished basement bathroom, and with it being a deep clawfoot tub, it's impractical to give a baby a bath in there. We still put the whale tub over the kitchen sink and it works great.

As for standing -- this is an issue for us too! Actually, V keeps trying to stand even in the infant tub, and we have to constantly reinforce with "no!" Silly babies.