Tuesday, May 1, 2018

best week ever

It's been nearly a decade since I've watched VH1---as a result of us deciding to no longer subscribe to cable. I had already seen Bret Michaels find his true love ... TWICE. Because really, what else is there? So Best Week Ever along with all my useless random pop culture trivia went by the wayside. This was also about the time I was pregnant and had J1, so in fairness my brain was complete mush anyhow. I could barely remember what I ate for breakfast, let alone who had done what to whom in Hollywood. BUT ... as much as I love talking about myself, this is not about me.

It's about HER. This kid. My crowning glory.


A few months ago, we were alerted that she was going to be on the math team. I am not sure I have ever seen a bigger smile on former mathlete Gus's face. Patterns, algebra, equations, etc. Dad and daughter practiced together every night. There was crying. A lot of crying. Gus was only crying on the inside. Surprisingly, I have no photos of said crying. I generally do. Just to keep it real.

All her tears hard work paid off last week. M-W she did really well at home practicing---after which she declared "you know when I focus and don't freak out, it's much easier." There are adults, including myself, who still haven't quite mastered this concept.


Thursday rolled up. She was nervous. I was nervous. Gus, in hindsight, was also nervous. I did what any good parent would do, and held my breath in the audience, until she answered a question correctly. Thankfully, she managed to do that within the first five or so questions because I'm not sure how long I can actually hold my breath without passing out. I certainly wasn't expecting a podium finish and I was definitely not expecting her to have to participate in a tiebreaker round to get it. Felt pretty good to see your kid up there handling whatever was thrown at her with grace, enthusiasm and an all-around good attitude.

PLUS, after math bowl, she and her friends got to have In-N-Out Burger for lunch with their first grade teacher. That girl loves her animal style.

Old photo simply to demonstrate said enthusiasm for In-N-Out
On Friday, she was nervous about swim time trials. In addition to the two events she swam last year, she was swimming three events that she hadn't ever competed---25 fly, 25 breast, and 50 free. She rocked it, dropping 5 and 6 seconds off her 25 free and 25 backstroke, respectively, and while I'm not sure I'd call what she did butterfly, she got in there, did something, and didn't drown. That's a win.


No clue what stroke that is.
We are pretty lucky parents to have this girl. She's truly something else. And thankfully, because of her, we generally get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to J2, who might otherwise appear to reflect our complete and utter failure as parents. Like I said. J1. Crowning. Glory. She's a good kid to know.


1 comment:

battlemaiden said...

She's so cool. LOL. And adorable. Also, she's a reflection of her awesome parents!