Friday, March 6, 2015

she is number 4


4 years old. It's a whole new kind of hard. It's the kind of hard where your daughter can't even get dressed until her grandma arrives because she wants to match socks with her grandma.  It's the kind of hard where she so desperately wants to "help" you do something that I spend more time thinking up something for her to "help" with than actually doing whatever I needed to do. Crazy making, I tell you.

Of course, at the same time 4 years old is some kind of wonderful. Little Miss J is learning how to read and sound out words. Every week they have "kindergarten club" where they have a homework packet to turn in on Tuesdays. Being the overachieving Asian family that we are, we make sure Little Miss J's homework gets done. That's not to say we get it done early or anything. This week, it was Monday night and I was through book 2 of 4 at bedtime, when I realized that we hadn't done the homework. I hauled Little Miss J and Gus (because he's the homework helper) out of bed to get it done while I put J2 down. I guess she was just too tired and Gus told her that she HAD to get up early in the morning to finish. She woke up in the morning and without waking anyone else up, sat down at the table and finished her homework, which was writing her name and practicing her "r"s. Let's just say that was a proud parent moment for us. 


She tends to be a little on the bossy side. Last night Gus was instructed to "turn off the light, shut the door, put J2 to bed and stop playing on his phone," and that was all in one breath. I do hope that this eventually translates into leadership rather than actual bossiness. In case you are wondering, she will not hesitate to tell you when you are doing something wrong and she's quick with a "SERIOUSLY?" or a "that's ridiculous." Yes, yes, I realize the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. She is her mother's daughter - but hearing it from a 4 year old is a bit much. 

This little girl ... she's pretty much my favorite girl. I certainly don't need (or want) her to be 4 years old forever, if the time could go just a bit slower. I will freely admit this now ... I will be the mom crying on the first day of kindergarten this fall. I just never understood until I did why my Auntie Lori was so neurotic when her kids started graduating from high school. I may give Auntie Lori a run for her money in the tears shed category. I just can't imagine this little girl being anything but my little girl - the one who wants me to snuggle with her as she falls asleep, read everything from books to street signs to her, tell her jokes, play her songs, etc. 

daddy's girl
mini me
first day of t-ball
Four. It's something special. Especially my four year old.

No comments: