Thursday, January 22, 2015

and may your dreams be realized

U2 - MLK

Little Miss J affirmatively informed me that "Martin Luther King Jr. had a dream that everyone would be nice to each other." Then she spent last weekend singing, "Wade in the Water." Her celebration of MLK Day, admittedly, was more appropriate than mine.

While I love civil rights just as much as the next girl, this is not what makes MLK Day my favorite day of the year. Instead it is our annual wine tasting, eating, and shopping date day. I mean if Christmas can be all commercialized, I can drink wine on MLK, right? We fit it all into the same amount of hours that we are usually at the office and while the kids are none the wiser, this mama is fat (although her wallet may be skinnier) and happy!

We started off with local breakfast at Orphan House. I had wanted to go to Bacon & Butter, which is always packed with a line around the corner on the weekends, but apparently they  missed the memo and are closed on Mondays. Ain't no thing though because these delicious platas verdes with a side of extra crispy bacon were all mine!


Then we hit the road for wine country. First stop Silver Oak. Because 9:00 a.m. is not too early for Cabernet, right? Since this is R Squared's favorite, and we've never been ... and it opened at 9:00 a.m., it was a good first stop.


Next up ... While their big seller is the Chardonnay, we got the Pinot. 



The third and last stop before my palate is completely shot in less than 2 hours was Opus One, which by far, was my favorite - which of course to Gus was not surprising. And if I actually had somewhere appropriate to store a bottle for 5-7 more years, I probably would have bought one. 


Then it was time to FEED ME! 


before

after
After we've been wined and dined we picked up some macarons for the kids and some pastries for the in-laws and then it was time to get our shop on!


And my 4:00 p.m., I was ready to head back and get back to the parenting. J2 seems pretty pleased with his macaron.


Until next year MLK.

No comments: